[The following is an excerpt from the July 1943 issue of Transportation Magazine. This was serious and written for male supervisors of women in the work force during World War II. Obviously, the intent was not to be “funny,” but by today’s standards, this is hilarious...]
There’s no longer any question whether transit companies should hire women for jobs formerly held by men. The draft and manpower shortage has settled that point. The important things now are to select the most efficient women available and how to use them to the best advantage. Here are eleven helpful tips on the subject from Western Properties:
1. Pick young married women. They usually have more of a sense of responsibility than their unmarried sisters, they’re less likely to be flirtatious, they need the work or they wouldn’t be doing it, they still have the pep and interest to work hard and to deal with the public efficiently.
2. When you have to use older women, try to get ones who have worked outside the home at some time in their lives. Older women who have never contacted the public have a hard time adapting themselves and are inclined to be cantankerous and fussy. It’s always well to impress upon older women the importance of friendliness and courtesy.
3. General experience indicates that “husky” girls - those who are just a little on the heavy side - are more even tempered and efficient than their underweight sisters.
4. Retain a physician to give each woman you hire a special physical examination - one covering female conditions. This step not only protects the property against the possibilities of lawsuit, but reveals whether the employee-to-be has any female weaknesses which would make her mentally or physically unfit for the job.
5. Stress at the outset the importance of time - the fact that a minute or two lost here and there makes serious inroads on schedules. Until this point is gotten across, service is likely to be slowed up.
6. Give the female employee a definite day-long schedule of duties so that they’ll keep busy without bothering the management for instructions every few minutes. Numerous properties say that women make excellent workers when they have their jobs cut out for them, but that they lack initiative in finding work themselves.
7. Whenever possible, let the inside employee change from one job to another at some time during the day. Women are inclined to be less nervous and happier with change.
8. Give every girl an adequate number of rest periods during the day. You have to make some allowances for feminine psychology. A girl has more confidence and is more efficient if she can keep her hair tidied, apply fresh lipstick and wash her hands several times a day.
9. Be tactful when issuing instructions or in making criticisms. Women are often sensitive; they can’t shrug off harsh words the way men do. Never ridicule a woman - it breaks her spirit and cuts off her efficiency.
10. Be reasonably considerate about using strong language around women. Even though a girl’s husband or father may swear vociferously, she’ll grow to dislike a place of business where she hears too much of this.
11. Get enough size variety in operator’s uniforms so that each girl can have a proper fit. This point can’t be stressed too much in keeping women happy.
Earn your leadership every day. - Michael Jordan
Woman was God's second mistake. - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
I married beneath me. All women do. - Lady Nancy Astor
Call others into leadership with you. - Jacobia Solomon
A woman can keep one secret - the secret of her age. - Voltaire
A wit should be no more sincere than a woman constant. - William Congreve
A woman's always younger than a man of equal years. - Elizabeth Barrett Browning
He who cannot be a good follower cannot be a good leader. - Aristotle
Youthful Figure: What you get when you ask a woman her age - Daffynitions joe-ks.com
A woman's best protection is a little money of her own. - Clare B Luce
Women's clothes: never wear anything that panics the cat. - P.J. O'Rourke
Most women are afraid of clowns, but somehow end up still dating one. - Unknown
Coquette: A woman without a heart, who makes a fool of a man who has no head - Daffynitions joe-ks.com
In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life. - George Best
She knew what all smart women knew: Laughter made you live better and longer. - Gail Parent
If I don't get along with Democrats, I'm sort of, like, out of business. - Donald Trump
Real leadership is leaders recognizing that they serve the people that they lead. - Pete Hoekstra
An ugly woman is a disease of the stomach; a handsome woman a disease of the head. - Italian Proverb
I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one. - Brian Clough
Make it thy business to know thyself, which is the most difficult lesson in the world. - Sir William Temple
In politics, if you want anything said, ask a man; if you want anything done, ask a woman. - Margaret Thatcher
Great leaders find ways to connect with their people and help them fulfill their potential. - Steven J Stowell
It is easier for a woman to defend her virtue against men than her reputation against women. - French Proverb
Talking business disgusts me. If you want to talk business, call my disgusting personal manager. - Sylvester Stallone
To me, job titles don't matter. Everyone is in sales. It's the only way we stay in business. - Harvey Mackay
They are leaders who have made a difference. Not because they wished it, but because they willed it. - Richard M Nixon
Marriage is when a man and woman become as one; the trouble starts when they try to decide which one. - Unknown
Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house. - Rod Stewart
Women are like cars: we all want a Ferrari, sometimes want a pick-up truck, and end up with a station wagon. - Tim Allen
I wanted to be the first woman to burn her bra, but it would have taken the fire department four days to put it out. - Dolly Parton
Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish Whiskey. The other ten percent I'll probably waste. - Tug McGraw
I think the only difference between me and the other candidates is that I'm more honest and my women are more beautiful. - Donald Trump
It is the business of a lawyer to find a hole to creep out of any law that is in his way; and if there is no hole, to make one. - W Ouseley
Focus on the core problem your business solves and put out lots of content and enthusiasm, and ideas about how to solve that problem. - Laura Fitton
If a woman says, 'Do what you want', do not do what you want. Stand still. Do not blink. Don't even breathe. Just play dead. - Unknown
Every man and woman is born into the world to do something unique and distinctive, and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done. - Benjamin E. Mays
Living in the past is a dull and lonely business; looking back strains the neck muscles, causes you to bump into people not going your way. - Edna Ferber
The 77 cents that women make for every dollar men earn makes a real difference to our families - families stretching to make every dollar count. - Barbara Mikulski
Yoga is possible for anybody who really wants it. Yoga is universal... But don't approach yoga with a business mind looking for worldly gain. - Pattabhi Jois
A leader is best when people barely know that he exists. When his work is done and his aim fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.' - Lao Tzu
Office & Work Sections
What Goes Round Comes Round
Scary Ice Cream
Ruling On Criticism
Cup of Mona Lisa
Olympic Moon Rings
BTTF II Car
Lunch Break on a Hot Day
Wait For My Human
China Road Load
Burger King Street
Taking The Bait