[The following is an excerpt from the July 1943 issue of Transportation Magazine. This was serious and written for male supervisors of women in the work force during World War II. Obviously, the intent was not to be “funny,” but by today’s standards, this is hilarious...]
There’s no longer any question whether transit companies should hire women for jobs formerly held by men. The draft and manpower shortage has settled that point. The important things now are to select the most efficient women available and how to use them to the best advantage. Here are eleven helpful tips on the subject from Western Properties:
1. Pick young married women. They usually have more of a sense of responsibility than their unmarried sisters, they’re less likely to be flirtatious, they need the work or they wouldn’t be doing it, they still have the pep and interest to work hard and to deal with the public efficiently.
2. When you have to use older women, try to get ones who have worked outside the home at some time in their lives. Older women who have never contacted the public have a hard time adapting themselves and are inclined to be cantankerous and fussy. It’s always well to impress upon older women the importance of friendliness and courtesy.
3. General experience indicates that “husky” girls - those who are just a little on the heavy side - are more even tempered and efficient than their underweight sisters.
4. Retain a physician to give each woman you hire a special physical examination - one covering female conditions. This step not only protects the property against the possibilities of lawsuit, but reveals whether the employee-to-be has any female weaknesses which would make her mentally or physically unfit for the job.
5. Stress at the outset the importance of time - the fact that a minute or two lost here and there makes serious inroads on schedules. Until this point is gotten across, service is likely to be slowed up.
6. Give the female employee a definite day-long schedule of duties so that they’ll keep busy without bothering the management for instructions every few minutes. Numerous properties say that women make excellent workers when they have their jobs cut out for them, but that they lack initiative in finding work themselves.
7. Whenever possible, let the inside employee change from one job to another at some time during the day. Women are inclined to be less nervous and happier with change.
8. Give every girl an adequate number of rest periods during the day. You have to make some allowances for feminine psychology. A girl has more confidence and is more efficient if she can keep her hair tidied, apply fresh lipstick and wash her hands several times a day.
9. Be tactful when issuing instructions or in making criticisms. Women are often sensitive; they can’t shrug off harsh words the way men do. Never ridicule a woman - it breaks her spirit and cuts off her efficiency.
10. Be reasonably considerate about using strong language around women. Even though a girl’s husband or father may swear vociferously, she’ll grow to dislike a place of business where she hears too much of this.
11. Get enough size variety in operator’s uniforms so that each girl can have a proper fit. This point can’t be stressed too much in keeping women happy.
Women hold up half the sky. - Mao Zedong
Woman was God's second mistake. - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Mankind should have been my business. - Ebenezer Scrooge
There are no ugly women, only lazy ones. - Helena Rubinstein
I like my whiskey old and my women young. - Errol Flynn
Monopoly is business at the end of its journey. - Henry Demarest Lloyd
I think Queen Elizabeth II is a charming woman. - Malcolm Muggeridge
Never argue with a woman, a winner, or a weapon. - Frank Dane
Politics is not a game. It is an earnest business. - Winston Churchill
All women are crazy, it's only a question of degree. - WC Fields
I was almost put out of business by a well-meaning corpse. - WC Fields
Everyone, in the final analysis, is in business for himself. - Unknown
Would you want to do business with a person who was 99% honest? - Sydney Madwed
I've never struck a woman in my life, not even my own mother. - WC Fields
He's the kind of man a woman would have to marry to get rid of. - Mae West
Market: 1. Three women and a goose; 2. What teachers do to homework. - Daffynitions joe-ks.com
Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs. - Farrah Gray
The function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers. - Ralph Nader
There is only one certainty in business: You can't succeed if you quit. - Darren Hardy
A woman doctor is only good for women's problems - like your groinocology - Archie Bunker
Business opportunities are like buses; there's always another one coming. - Richard Branson
A person always doing his or her best becomes a natural leader, just by example. - Joe DiMaggio
Beauty is the first present nature gives to a woman and the first it takes away. - Fay Weldon
As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others. - Bill Gates
One thing is certain in business: You and everyone around you will make mistakes. - Richard Branson
The greatest leaders mobilize others by coalescing people around a shared vision. - Ken Blanchard
Business is so bad, even the accounts that don't intend to pay ain't buying. - Unknown
Nothing changes the gender equation more significantly than women's economic freedom. - Gloria Steinem
The best leaders inspire others to harness their utmost potential to benefit the common good. - Peter Tormey
The greatest thief this world has ever produced is procrastination, and he is still at large. - Josh Billings
For marriage to be a success, every woman and every man should have her and his own bathroom. The end. - Catherine Zeta-Jones
Great leaders are not defined by the absence of weakness, but rather by the presence of clear strengths. - John Zenger
Americans still believe in an America where anything's possible - they just don't think their leaders do. - Barack Obama
We women know how to take care of everybody so well. But the one person we have written out of the equation is us. - Suze Orman
Effective leadership is not about making speeches or being liked. Leadership is defined by results, not attributes. - Peter F Drucker
A good leader is a person who takes a little more than his share of the blame and a little less than his share of the credit. - John Maxwell
What the insurance companies have done is to reverse the business so that the public at large insures the insurance companies. - Gerry Spence
The blood of Christ covers all of our sins, but each of us must do personal business with God in order to experience his forgiveness. - Lewis B Smedes
Like many other women, I could not understand why every man who changed a diaper has felt impelled, in recent years, to write a book about it. - Barbara Ehrenreich
Great leaders are almost always great simplifiers, who can cut through argument, debate and doubt, to offer a solution everybody can understand. - Colin Powell
Office & Work Sections
Custer's Last Stand?
Hand Held Tourist
Second Hand Work
Ostrich Fill Up
Reach For Your Dreams
Jeopardy Measuring Cup
All We Have To Do Is Stand Up
Chinese Puzzle Car
Always Give 100% At Work
My Toaster Is Broken