Delicious dishes can be made with small, dead animals you find beside the road. Since
roadkill deteriorates rapidly on hot pavement, choose only fresh meat that has not
been picked-over by birds or flies. Store immediately in your beer cooler.
ROADKILL À L'ORANGE
Tastes like chicken!
A good size fresh gopher, groundhog or hedgehog
Fresh orange or tin of tangerine segments
- Pluck or skin roadkill and wash thoroughly;
- Roast roadkill for 15 minutes per pound and 15 minutes over;
- Start in hot oven, then reduce to moderate;
- Prick skin after first 30 minutes so the fat can run out and give a crisp outside. If the animal is bony, rub with lard or butter;
- Garnish with slices of orange, and serve with rice, vegetables and plenty of beer.