[Looks like this engineer had nothing better to do with his time, so he came
up with a mathematical proof for the non-existence of Santa Claus…]
1) No known species of reindeer can fly. BUT there are 300,000 species of living organisms yet to be classified, and while most of these are insects and germs, this does not COMPLETELY rule out flying reindeer which only Santa has ever seen.
2) There are 2 billion children (persons under 18) in the world. BUT since Santa doesn’t (appear) to handle the Muslim, Hindu, Jewish and Buddhist children, that reduces the workload to to 15% of the total - 378 million according to Population Reference Bureau. At an average (census) rate of 3.5 children per household, that’s 91.8 million homes. One presumes there’s at least one good child in each.
3) Santa has 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west (which seems logical). This works out to 822.6 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with good children, Santa has 1/1000th of a second to park, hop out of the sleigh, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left, get back up the chimney, get back into the sleigh and move on to the next house. Assuming that each of these 91.8 million stops are evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false but for the purposes of our calculations we will accept), we are now talking about .78 miles per
household, a total trip of 75-1/2 million miles, not counting stops to do what most of us must do at least once every 31 hours, plus feeding etc.
This means that Santa’s sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second, 3,000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man-made vehicle on earth, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per second - a conventional reindeer can run, tops, 15 miles per hour.
4) The payload on the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium-sized lego set (2 pounds), the sleigh is carrying 321,300 tons, not counting Santa, who is invariably described as overweight. On land, conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds. Even granting that “flying reindeer” (see point #1) could pull TEN TIMES the normal amount, we cannot do the job with eight, or even nine. We need 214,200 reindeer. This increases the payload - not even counting the weight of the
sleigh - to 353,430 tons. Again, for comparison - this is four times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth.
5) 353,000 tons travelling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air resistance - this will heat the reindeer up in the same fashion as spacecrafts re-entering the earth’s atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer will absorb 14.3 QUINTILLION joules of energy. Per second. Each. In short, they will burst into flame almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them, and create deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team will be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second. Santa, meanwhile, will be subjected to
centrifugal forces 17,500.06 times greater than gravity. A 250-pound Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of his sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force.
In conclusion - If Santa ever DID deliver presents on Christmas Eve, he’s dead now.
Santa's Guh-nomes - Archie Bunker
The best proof of love is trust. - Dr Joyce Brothers
Science is forever rewriting itself. - Unknown
There is no gravity. The earth sucks. - Graffito
The engineering is secondary to the vision. - Cynthia Ozick
The writer is the engineer of the human soul. - Joseph Stalin
All science is either physics or stamp collecting. - Ernest Rutherford
There would be no Christmas if there was no Easter. - Gordon B. Hinckley
Halloween starts earlier and earlier, just like Christmas. - Robert Englund
Mathematics is the science which uses easy words for hard ideas. - James Roy Newman
What counts in science is to be not so much the first as the last. - Erwin Chargaff
Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Tenderness is greater proof of love than the most passionate of vows. - Marlene Dietrich
Science is the great antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition. - Adam Smith
The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking. - Albert Einstein
Science becomes dangerous only when it imagines that it has reached its goal. - George Bernard Shaw
No science is immune to the infection of politics and the corruption of power. - Jacob Bronowski
Science is the ascertainment of facts and the refusal to regard facts as permanent. - Unknown
Aren't we forgetting the true meaning of Christmas? You know, the birth of Santa. - Bart Simpson
Mathematics is the cheapest science. All one needs for mathematics is a pencil and a paper. - George Polya
There's a big overlap with the people you meet at the fantasy and science fiction cons. - Fred Saberhagen
The next time you hear a social media myth, question it. Ask for the proof, and ask out loud. - Dan Zarrella
I still have my Christmas Tree. I looked at it today. Sure enough, I couldn't see any forests. - Steven Wright
No matter how carefully you stored the lights last year, they will be snarled again this Christmas. - Robert Kirby
The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a family all wrapped up in each other. - Bill Vaughan
Might make a real good Christmas present for the uninformed. The book is called 'Taking America Back.' - Paul Harvey
In the sick room, ten cents' worth of human understanding equals ten dollars' worth of medical science. - Martin H. Fischer
I gave my young nephew a book for Christmas. He's spent six months looking for where to put
the batteries. - Milton Berle
Art is made to disturb. Science reassures. There is only one valuable thin in art: the thing you cannot explain. - Georges Braque
Statistics: the only science that enables different experts using the same figures to draw different conclusions. - Evan Esar
A lovely thing about Christmas is that it's compulsory, like a thunderstorm, and we all go through it together. - Garrison Keillor
Science has not yet mastered prophecy. We predict too much for the next year and yet far too little for the next ten. - Neil A Armstrong
All our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike - and yet it is the most precious thing we have. - Albert Einstein
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. - Oscar Wilde
So long as the mother, ignorance, lives, it is not safe for science, the offspring, to divulge the hidden cause of things. - Johannes Kepler
The Swedish engineer who invented the zip fastener made a greater intellectual leap than many scientists do in a lifetime. - Martin Rees
Did you read about Starbucks? No more "Merry Christmas" at Starbucks. No more. Maybe we should boycott Starbucks. - Donald Trump
I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was six. Mother took me to see him in a department store and he asked for my autograph. - Shirley Temple
There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact. - Mark Twain
Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines. - Bertrand Russell
Modern Santa Claus
Who Let The Dogs Out?
Fresh Air Computing
Middle East Play House
Don't Believe Everything You Read
End Of The Line
Glass World - Where Plumbers Buy
Sheep in Wool Clothing
Admin Assistant Bird
What Are Your Skills?